Thursday, May 16, 2013

'Tis Better to Add Than Subtract

Why is maintaining healthy habits so difficult for me? I know that I will feel better and look better if I eat nutritious foods, drink lots of water, get some exercise, and go to bed at a reasonable time, and yet I rarely do any of these things. I perpetually make all sorts of choices that negatively affect my body, and then I feel bad about myself for not making better choices. Ever thought that?

I have yo-yo dieted for years (I know...it's an old story), and now I just feel physically wiped out. I don't think I have it in me to launch into any great and grand new health plans anymore. Trying to whip myself into a motivational fervor is out of the question.

 Here's what I detest about diets:

  1. They consumes me. All of the planning, weighing, counting calories, measuring food, and fretting over the process wears me out. 
  2. They are frustrating when they don't work consistently. I tend to get obsessed with a new diet, but at the first sign of a plateau, I bail. Sometimes, I believe that diets simply set us up for failure. I've known very few people who have succeeded, long-term on a diet, not matter what diet it has been.
  3. They are restrictive. The fastest way to get me to crave a particular food is to tell me that I am not allowed to have it. I hate being told that I am "not allowed" to eat something, and my somewhat rebellious nature has come out screaming eventually with every diet I've ever been on.
In light of these three things, I hear by declare that I am divorcing the dieting lifestyle...for good! No longer will I plan and scheme. No longer will I attempt to permanently subtract foods from my world. No longer will I obsess about food or my weight.

I am letting it go. I am going to choose to focus on a life of addition versus subtraction.

What does this mean? It means that I am going to focus on adding things to my life that bring health and happiness, instead of hyper focusing on subtracting the things from my life that I have labeled as bad.

Here's what I am going to add this week:

  1. Time with people I love (you can never get enough of this).
  2. More prayer (the ultimate in time with One whom I love).
  3. Lots of water (I've been feeling really dehydrated lately ~ whew).
  4. Fruit (it's back in season!)

Warmest Wishes! ~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment